Friday, May 14, 2010

Deeper Diet Issues a Crisis in the Baking Aisle

You can have your diet, but I need to find a better way. This crisis came to a head in the Baking Aisle of a supermarket. How hard can it be to choose a flour for baking bread? You look at the labels and you see whole wheat, bleached flour, enriched flour, different brands. What have you done to my flour? Why is it bleached and enriched? And why is the real deal more expansive then the overly processed less healthy alternative. I could have stood there for hours as crazy as it sounds.

This is my channel to vent. I am one of the countless number of Americans who are obese. No one chooses to be fat, but we make choices every day that affect how healthy we are. So I am owning my problem. I am fat because I made poor dietary and health choices. Enough is enough. Truth time. I am 23 years old and weigh almost 200 hundred pounds. Maybe you think that is not that bad, but I am only 5 feet tall.

But how to change? As a society, we are bombarded by fad diet after fad diet giving a promised fix, and everyone is a let down. Perhaps its not them but us. The food pyramid of my childhood as been replaced, and we have labeled so many things as bad: fat, cholesterol, sugar, starches, carbs, and the list goes on that we no longer know what is truly healthy. Admit it we take out these "bad" elements, but we do not question what we replace them with. Food labels have become illegible, but we buy the products because they are labeled as no fat, sugar, ect. What we are really doing is taking the food out of food!

I am throwing down the gauntlet. I am going to buy whole milk with all the fat, yogurt too. I am not buying your pseudo foods Mr. Manufacturer. With diligence I will read every label and count every calorie. I will drink more water throughout the day, and eat fruits and vegetables daily. Incorporate more fish into my diet, and eat red meats with care. But eat them, I will. No I am not going organic yet, but perhaps one day the value will out weight the cost. The premise is whole foods. When will we say STOP! When the tomato is taken out tomato, when we live on some sort of chemical soup packaged as the perfect diet. This is the path I am on and I will see it through. I am not just changing the quality and quantity of food I eat, but how I live. I will work out at least four times a week - hopefully more.

The way I see it I can buy skim milk with my pseudo junk foods that only leave me hungry at the end of the day or get rid of the real junk and try to live better. I don't think it will be easy. I'll probably go through some form of withdrawal from your pseudo foods mr. manufacturer, but what happens after that. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment